While new bikes are a beautiful thing, they never stay that way for long.
As parts begin to break and are slowly replaced—maybe a bent derailleur at first, then eventually a wheel—they become a heterogenous mixture of matching graphics and paint. These creations are equally as exquisite in their own right and often have more personality. Known as the Frankenbike—maybe even complete with different-sized wheels front and back—these pieced-together bikes are not only rippable, but they're also endearing. Below is the soul food to match: the Frankenbike sandwich.
The Frankenbike sandwich is directly inspired by a New York classic, the Reuben. The Reuben is a brilliant Jewish fusion of Irish corned beef, Swiss cheese, Russian dressing and German sauerkraut, all piled between two slices of toasted rye bread. A cross-cultural tour de force! But what if we added Korean kimchi, a Japanese-influenced marinade, Northwest smokiness and made it vegan? We have now entered Frankensandwich territory!
- 1 package tempeh
- 8 slices of rye or gluten-free bread
- 1/2 jar kimchi or kimchi-spiced sauerkraut
- 1 cup thinly sliced Japanese cucumber
- 8 slices vegan smoked gouda (Follow Your Heart brand)
For tempeh marinade:
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (or GF alternative)
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup, honey or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
For Kim Jong-Putin dressing:
- 4 tbsp. Vegenaise
- 1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 1/2-1 tbsp. Gochujang Korean chili paste (can choose hot sauce of choice, adjust amount accordingly)
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tempeh marinade ingredients. Slice tempeh bacon-strip thick and add to bowl. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the Kim Jong-Putin dressing ingredients.
- Toast the rye bread.
- In a sauté pan, sauté the tempeh in a splash of sunflower oil or oil of choice. Spread out tempeh, cover with kimchi and smoked vegan gouda, heat in oven until cheese melts.
- Spread dressing evenly across one side of the toast. Cover four pieces of toast with sliced cucumbers. Pull tempeh/kimchi/smoked vegan gouda mix out of the oven and divide evenly over toast with cucumbers. Top with the other four slices of bread.
- Slice and serve! (Makes four sandwiches)